Tuesday 17 May 2016

What Happens When People Move to a New Culture?

Coming from a rural area, I was always interested when interacting with people from different culture. I can't imagine how over whelming it would be to move to a completely foreign culture. There are so many different aspects you would need to adapt to; language, values, beliefs, all the while trying to hold on to your heritage culture. You would have to create completely new relationships, and adapt to different interpersonal and social behaviors. I think that the most intimidating thing would be being a part of a minority group. Until last year, I did not have the slightest idea what it was like to be a minority. I have the privilege of traveling to Grenada on a service learning trip, the experience in a whole was eye opening as to how little I know about our world and the cultures among us. One of the most eye opening parts of the trip, was when we were exploring the town of Grenville one afternoon. All of the children had just been let out of school, and were running around the streets. I was busy taking in this new culture I was surrounded by when a child ran by tapping each of us on the leg saying "WHITE! WHITE!" and in that moment I realized, we were in fact a minority in this situation. I know this is minuscule compared to actually moving somewhere, and having to adapt to being part of a minority every day, but I can understand how and why it could be intimidating.

1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed the way you have written the blog. Hope we are eagerly waiting for such post from your side. HATS OFF for the valuable information shared!

    German Language Course with Certified Trainer
    Arabic Language Course with Reasonable Price

    ReplyDelete