Tuesday 17 May 2016

Acculturation

Acculturation is the process of relocating and therefore having to adapt to a new culture (Cheung et al, 2010). Before this course, I had never heard of the term acculturation, which I thought was quite sad. Therefore, I wanted to discuss a bit about it. There has been studies done on whether or not age is a dependent factor of ones ability to adjust to a new culture more quickly. I think that there are so many factors that could play a role in this, and only reading two studies about it didn't quite catch all of the ideas I came up with. I think that an important point would also be the new cultures attitude towards the immigrants, as well as whether the person is in public, private, or a home schooled setting. I do think that age would play a role in how one adjusts to a new culture, but I think to fully understand this subject I would have to look further into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment